Manatee School For the Arts Middle School Lab Safety Contract
Lab rules must be followed at ALL times! You must have this contract completed before you can engage in any lab activity.
1. I will conduct myself in an appropriate manner in the lab. I will not engage in horseplay, shoving, hitting, squirting others with wash bottles, running, throwing objects, or play practical jokes.
2. I will follow all written and verbal instructions. If I do not understand any instruction, I will ask the instructor. I will not engage in any unauthorized experiments.
3. I will not eat food, chew gum, or drink beverages in the lab. I will not ingest any chemicals from the lab.
4. When I first enter the science room or lab, I will not touch any chemicals, equipment, or materials until instructed to do so. I will place my backpack at the front of the room with my cell phone inside it.
5. I will know the locations and operation of safety features in the science room and lab. This includes the emergency exits, fire extinguisher, fire blanket, eye wash, first aid kit, goggles, and gloves.
6. I will not work in the laboratory alone, leave my lab station unattended, or disturb other lab groups unnecessarily.
7. I will consult with my physician about any medical condition (i.e. – contacts, allergies, pregnancy, or asthma) that can pose a hazard and will notify the instructor of any restriction.
8. I will wear goggles at all time. I will wear gloves upon request by instructor.
9. I will wear appropriate clothing to the lab. Loose and baggy clothes, dangling jewelry are not allowed when conducting labs. I will wear an apron or lab coat if it is necessary. I will tie back my hair if it is long.
10. I will wash my hands with soap and water after working in the lab. I will not touch my face, rub my eyes, or insert/remove contacts until my hands are washed. If I spill a chemical on my skin I will notify the teacher immediately and wash it with only water.
11. I will report any accident or injury to the instructor immediately.
12. I will not remove any chemical or material from the laboratory.
13. I will clean up my lab station to its original condition, and dispose of any waste according to the instructor. The sink will be free from all debris.
14. I will read the directions for each lab carefully and ask any questions to the instructor only.
15. When observing the odor of a substance, do not hold your face directly over the container. To observe safely, fan a little of the vapor toward you by sweeping your hand over the top of the container.
16. I will not touch glass beakers if we are using heat, but will wait for the instructor’s permission. Hot glass looks the same as cold glass.
17. I will respect all laboratory equipment and handle it properly. If the equipment is not functioning properly I will immediately notify the instructor.
18. I understand that I will be charged for any broken equipment or damage resulting from my negligence.
Science department policy
In order to maintain a safe working environment for all students, teachers are required to remove from the classroom, any student out of compliance. This is for your own protection and fellow students.
Please check the following and return to your science teacher by August __22___, 2018
o I have read the attached safety rules and have been present when they were discussed in class or I discussed them directly with my science teacher.
o Yes, I wear contact lenses.
O I have attached the mandatory $20.00 laboratory fee.
I have allergies/sensitivities to____________________________________________________________
Student name ______________________________ Student signature __________________________
I have read and discussed the laboratory safety rules with my child.
Parent signature _____________________________ Date __________________________